My mother is an amazing lady. All of my life, she has mostly been a very joyful person, loving life and laughter. That does not mean her life has not had its share of heartbreak.
She grew up one of seven children in the household of a poor farmer. She lost two brothers before she graduated high school. She met the love of her life (my dad) and married him at 17-years-old. Before she was 24-years-old, she carried two babies to almost full-term. When they were born, each of them lived two days.
Her life has been littered with stories like this. She has had more sorrow in her life than I have ever faced. Yet, after the sunset, her choice was always joy.
Mama thinks I have always been a daddy’s girl. In some ways, she is right. Mama is the one I call when I need a shoulder to cry on or a friend to talk to. She is the one I have called for advice. Sure, Daddy was my hero, but Mama has been my role model and my biggest supporter. She loves me unconditionally and has prayed for me since before I took my first breath. I am thankful beyond words for this God-loving woman that I have been able to love my whole life.
Mother’s Day is the most popular day of the year in the United States to dine out at a restaurant. Aren’t crowds what we avoid these days? Pamper mom at home with breakfast in bed. These banana oat pecan waffles are not your everyday wimpy waffles. They are substantial and seriously filling. Pair them with fresh fruit and bacon for a tasty breakfast treat.
Listen up, dads out there; kids love to help in the kitchen! Make this an extra special treat for mom by getting the kiddos involved. She will love it, but please, remember to clean the kitchen!
• 1 . all-purpose flour
• 1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
• 2 brown bananas, peeled and mashed
• 2 tsp. vanilla
• 1/2 - 3/4 c. buttermilk
• 1 large egg
• 1/3 c. chopped pecans
1. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, vanilla, buttermilk, and egg.
3. Pour the wet ingredients in the dry ingredients and stir to combine, just until combined, but do not overmix.
4. Stir in pecans.
5. Heat the waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions. Spray with nonstick cooking spray when the waffle iron is ready. Drop batter onto iron, close lid, and cook until waffles are golden brown.
6. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.